NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICANTS
The Columbus Public Library is hiring a Part-Time Library Clerk to perform professional library duties, shelve library materials, and assist with programs.
- Year-round: 2nd and 5th Saturdays of the month from 9:00 am until 1:00 pm.
- Summer: Additional 16 to 20 flexible hours per week from June to August.
There will be additional opportunities to work extra hours every month. The pay range for this position is $12.00 to $14.00 per hour depending on qualifications. The minimum age requirement is 16.
NATURE OF THE JOB
The Library Clerk performs professional library activities, shelves library materials, and assists in other tasks as required.
- Reports to the Library Director
- Part-time Employment
- Works with people from a wide range of ages and interests.
- Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking materials in and out including interlibrary loans, registering patrons, collecting fines, printing reports, etc.
- Assists patrons with technology in the library including copying, faxing, using library computers, scanning documents, wireless printing, and accessing microfilm.
- Demonstrates how to navigate online library services and databases.
- Assists library staff with programs as needed.
- Shelves materials in proper location and performs shelf-reading tasks.
- Locates materials on the daily holds queue list.
- Empties materials from outdoor book drop.
- Performs light housekeeping.
- Participates as an active and involved team member of the library.
- Abides by library policies.
- Accepts other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Knowledge and experience with contemporary technology.
- Ability to interact well with a diverse population.
- Ability to maintain and promote a positive public service attitude.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library patron information.
- Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic or numeric order, and to develop a working understanding of the Dewey Decimal system of library materials arrangement.
- Ability to perform the following skills:
- Analytical skills: follows detailed directions.
- Problem solving skills: identify problems and inform supervisor.
- Organization skills: accomplishes tasks with attention to detail.
- Communication skills: communicate effectively and transparently in both oral and written forms.
- Reading ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memoranda, reports, bulletins, budgets, etc.
- Independent thinking ability: decision making without direct supervision.
- Mathematical ability: understanding of basic mathematics and statistics.
- Time management skills: ability to work at a steady pace.
- Instruction comprehension: ability to understand instructions from supervisor in both oral and written forms.
- Physical demands:
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing and stooping.
- Bending, twisting and reaching.
- Talking and hearing; use of a telephone.
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, and sorting.
- Lifting, carrying: 30 pounds or less.
- Pushing, pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
- Mobility: travel to meetings outside the library.
- Age 16 and older
- No experience required
To apply, please complete the City of Columbus Application Form, and send a cover letter and resume to Lindsey Ganz at lindsey [at] columbuspubliclibrary.info.
Application deadline is March 16, 2023, or until filled.